The excitement, colour and entertainment of the KFC Big Bash League will return for a third season in December with all regular season matches to be played across the summer school holidays.
The format of the league has remained the same as its opening two seasons, with 32 round matches played over 38 days before the BIG SEMI FINALS on 7 and 8 February. The BBL|03 BIG FINAL will be held on Saturday 15 February.
Network Ten will broadcast every match live with Adam Gilchrist and Ricky Ponting taking their places behind the microphone in a highly-regarded commentary team.
Memberships for all teams go on sale from today, with great value packages to suit the needs of all BBL fans. The league has launched a national membership promotion for BBL|03 to encourage members to refer their friends to join their team. Visit www.bigbash.com.au/membership for full details.
Cricket Australia’s Executive General Manager Operations Mike McKenna said the key feature of the BBL|03 draw is a move to ensure all regular season matches are played during the school holidays to allow more kids and families to attend summer’s best value entertainment.
“The later start to the season means that families will have a greater opportunity to come to the BBL as part of their school holiday summer entertainment.
“This season’s fixture also has a number of new elements, including a match on New Year’s Eve at Adelaide Oval and a New Year’s Day double header in Hobart and Sydney.
“The BBL’s move to Network Ten is a sign the league has arrived as the best sporting league in summer. It has earned its place as an attractive product on free-to-air TV and we’re looking forward to showcasing T20 to an even bigger audience this season.
“Cricket Australia’s strategy for the BBL is working. The league has been successful in attracting a new, diverse fan base in its first two years with its mix of big hits, great value and explosive action. More than 13 percent of people who attended the BBL last season were experiencing live cricket for the first time. Families also made up more than 50 percent of our crowds which is exactly the target audience that we want to attract to T20.
“If you look at the average crowds and TV audiences over the past two years, the league compares more than favourably with other sports and has claims to being the most popular summer sports league in the country.
“We had capacity crowds in Hobart, Adelaide and Perth, and a domestic T20 record crowd of 46,581 at the MCG last season and we’re expecting a similar response this season.
“Memberships go on sale for all teams this week. They offer the best value and are the only way for fans to guarantee access to their team’s home matches or the best seats for those games.”
The explosive action will start on Friday 20 December with the derby between the Melbourne Stars and the Melbourne Renegades at the MCG. The corresponding match last year drew a record 46,581 fans as the Renegades completed a season sweep over the Stars.
The following night, attention turns to Sydney as the Sixers and Thunder look to get their seasons off to a winning start at the SCG.
An afternoon fixture between the Hobart Hurricanes and Adelaide Strikers, followed by the BBL|02 BIG FINAL re-match between the Brisbane Heat and the Perth Scorchers on Sunday 22 December will close a bumper first round.
- All regular season matches to be played in the school holiday period
- Season to start with the derbies in Melbourne and Sydney, and a grand final replay in Brisbane
- New Year’s Eve match in Adelaide – a first for the BBL
- New Year’s Day double-header
- Australia Day public holiday match at the MCG to finish the regular season
- 32 matches in 38 days with the BIG SEMI-FINALS and BIG FINAL played over two weekends from Friday 7 February
- Fri 20 December: Opening match and Melbourne Derby #1
- Rematch of last season’s derby bonanza between Melbourne Stars and Melbourne Renegades at the MCG
- Sat 21 December: Sydney Derby #1
- Sydney Sixers v Sydney Thunder
- Sat 22 December: BBL|02 Champions start their campaign in a re-match of last year’s BIG FINAL
- Brisbane Heat v Perth Scorchers at the Gabba
- Thu 26 December: Boxing Day at the WACA
- Perth Scorchers v Melbourne Renegades
- Tues 31 December: New Year’s Eve at Adelaide Oval
- Adelaide Strikers v Perth Scorchers
- Wed January 1: New Year’s Day double-header
- Hobart Hurricanes v Melbourne Renegades
- Sydney Thunder v Melbourne Stars
- Sat 4 January: Melbourne Derby #2
- Melbourne Renegades v Melbourne Stars
- Sat 25 January: Sydney Derby #2
- Sydney Thunder v Sydney Sixers
- Fri 7 February: BIG SEMIFINAL 1
- Sat 8 February: BIG SEMIFINAL 2
- Sat 15 February: KFC T20 BBL|03 BIG FINAL
Player Signing Announcements
The initial player signing window closed last Friday (July 20) with teams required to have signed a minimum of 10 players. BBL teams will start announcing their signings and BBL|03 membership packages from today (Monday 22 July). Teams will again be filled with Australia’s best T20 players and international stars.
Keep up to day with the latest player signings here: www.bigbash.com.au
All KFC T20 Big Bash League Teams will unveil their new BBL|03 season membership packages today.
Teams have packages to suit the needs of any BBL fan and there are now even more great reasons to become a KFC T20 Big Bash League Team member, including:
- Great savings on entry to home matches, compared to purchasing your tickets separately for each game
- Your chance to secure fantastic seats for every home game
- Receive priority access to home finals tickets
- Access to fantastic member only events and experiences
For details visit www.bigbash.com.au/membership
Refer a Friend Membership Campaign
The BBL has today launched a national membership promotion for BBL|03 to encourage members to refer their friends to join their team. There are fantastic prizes to be won*.
For details visit www.bigbash.com.au/my-bbl/get-member
Eligibility requirements and conditions apply. For full terms and conditions visit http://www.bigbash.com.au/my-bbl/get-member-terms-conditions