D'Arcy Short will use the KFC Big Bash League to relaunch his bid for a spot in Australia's World Cup squad, having impressed with a quick-fire 74 against India in the red-ball tour game at the SCG.
Short bulldozed his way to an international debut earlier this year with a series of impressive BBL performances, finishing the Twenty20 tournament's leading run-scorer in 2017-18.
But the 28-year-old has recently struggled to produce a big score for Australia.
The Hobart Hurricanes slugger's 33 in the recent T20 series finale at the SCG was preceded by knocks of 14, seven, zero, zero, 10, two and four.
That stretch includes an ODI duck in Perth, where Short batted at first drop in the injury-enforced absence of Shaun Marsh.
"I definitely didn't feel out of form. I was hitting them quite well in the nets and working quite hard on my game in the nets," Short told reporters in Sydney.
"It just wasn't really working in the game. I sort of went OK in the last game, it was definitely a step in the right direction.
"I just have to keep working on what I'm working at. The next thing is to score runs in BBL and hopefully go from there."
Australia face India in a three-match Gillette ODI series after the four Domain Tests, which will be Short's next chance to impress at international level should he be selected.
Australia will face India and Pakistan in away one-day series soon after, with selectors still mulling their World Cup options.
Short, the only player with international experience to be picked in a Cricket Australia XI squad, smacked 11 boundaries at the SCG on Friday.
Short and Max Bryant shared a 114-run opening stand, feasting on some inaccurate bowling from India's Test bowlers.
"It was good to get some runs," Short said. "It was so much fun batting with Max.
"Just the care-free attitude he has, it probably rubbed off on me a little bit. We just went about our business and had fun – and kept stirring each other a bit.
"There was no talk of reining it in."