Breakout star D'Arcy Short has re-signed with the Hobart Hurricanes after his record-breaking KFC Big Bash League season, and has left the door ajar for a possible move away from Western Australia at the end of the summer.
Short struck 572 runs at 57.20 with a strike-rate just shy of 150 for the Hurricanes this season, eclipsing Shaun Marsh's record from BBL|02 for the most prolific Big Bash campaign.
In just his second season in the BBL, the left-hander's efforts earned him an international debut on Saturday in Sydney where he opened the batting with David Warner in Australia's Gillette T20 tri-series opener against New Zealand.
Short's state contract with Western Australia expires at the end of this summer and the potential for him to translate his incredible T20 form into first-class cricket will undoubtedly have been noted by rival states.
His remarkable rise has prompted the likes of Hurricanes and Tasmania captain George Bailey to suggest Short is capable of making the leap from T20 blaster to Test star like Australia vice-captain Warner has done.
Short has said he still aspires to play Test cricket but his opportunities in four-day cricket have been limited to date. Born and bred in the Northern Territory, Short made the move to Perth as a teenager and only made his Sheffield Shield debut for Western Australia last summer.
Since then, he's played just six first-class games (three so far this summer) and only once batted higher than seven. He came in at No.9 in his most recent match for WA with his left-arm wrist-spin, which has yielded 10 wickets at 44, helping win him a spot as much as his batting.
"Hopefully I can get back (to WA) and play as a batter as well as bowling," Short said this week. "I will just wait and see where it goes but hopefully I'm playing."
"I'd like to bat top six if I could, but I'll bat anywhere as long as I'm playing."
Cricket Tasmania on Tuesday confirmed Short will remain in purple for a further three seasons after signing a two-year contract extension with the Hurricanes. He had already been under contract for BBL|08.
Short said he's yet to make a call on his future with Western Australia but stressed that he's content playing for the Warriors for now.
"I haven't made that decision," he told reporters on Wednesday.
"I'm happy playing Shield cricket at the moment in Western Australia and we'll see what happens at the end of the year. I'm still definitely happy playing there."
Asked if Tasmania had offered him a contract, Short said: "Not at the moment, no.
"We'll wait until the end of the year and go from there and see what happens."
Chief executive Nick Cummins confirmed Cricket Tasmania has not made an attempt to recruit Short to play for the Tigers, per Cricket Australia's contracting guidelines.
"Cricket Tasmania has not put a contract offer in front of D'Arcy Short to play for Tasmania," Cummins said in a statement to cricket.com.au.
"Cricket Australia's rule regarding contract offers are clear and Cricket Tasmania adheres to these rules."
The WACA have declined to comment.
Short said he had no hesitation penning a new deal with the Hurricanes, who finished as BBL|07's runners-up after being defeated by the Adelaide Strikers in the final on Sunday.
"It was an easy decision because I like coming down here with all the boys, especially after having success this year," he said.
"I definitely think we can go one step further, if not next year, then the year after.
"Hopefully the success keeps coming and we can keep doing well."